As Emma waited for the bus at 6:30 a.m. with her 1-year-old daughter, Isabella, on her lap, she was determined to make up for lost time. She was ready for another day of classes at a local technical school, always believing that each day is another opportunity to better herself. She jotted down a goal, and below it she penned her inspiration:
My goal: To get my high school diploma
My why: My daughter
In June, Emma turned that goal into a reality, earning her diploma! She also began her first job, as an associate at a retail store.
Brave Moms already has provided Emma tools to help her become a better mom, and she is raising her daughter in an environment where the love of Christ is shared in action and word.
Isabella has a contagious smile that lights up the room, and Emma has shared with us how happy she is to have opportunities that are changing both of their lives.
“Thank you, Brave Moms, for making me brave for Isabella so she, too, will grow up and be brave,” Emma said.
Emma is just one of the single mothers living on a Florida Baptist Children’s Homes campus as part of Brave Moms. We currently serve eight mothers and 15 children, and our hope is to increase our ability to serve courageous women and their children all around the state.
Their hearts are revitalized and mothers and children are equipped to move toward successful independent living while being shown the love of their Savior! Our goal is to offer these women and children communities of support and encouragement that will lead to long-term self-sufficiency.
These moms need to know that their pasts don’t define them, and your gifts make it possible for us to help redefine their futures.
Do you want to showcase your own brave side for Brave Moms? Here is how you can help:
• Become a mentor for a single mom in need through Brave Moms. Share your expertise on meal planning, creating (and sticking to) a budget and cooking nutritious meals that are affordable.
• Give our Brave Moms gently used clothing to add to their wardrobe as they enter the workforce.
• Provide transportation and/or emergency child care when a need arises.
• Donate and deliver gently used furniture for moms transitioning to independence.
• Host a yard sale to raise money for our Brave Moms ministry.
RJ Walters is Communications Specialist for Florida Baptist Children's Homes.